Reuters, the news and media division of Thomson Reuters, is the world’s largest international multimedia news provider reaching more than one billion people every day. Reuters provides trusted business, financial, national, and international news to professionals via Thomson Reuters desktops, the world's media organizations, and directly to consumers at Reuters.com.
Reuters Consumer is an agile digital publishing business in the heart of the world’s largest news organization. Our mission is to be the premier source of news for global professionals. We combine technology and editorial innovation across Reuters.com and Reuters TV to deliver a powerful experience to over 50 million monthly users on the web, mobile and set-top-boxes.
The Data Scientist is a full time position at our New York office. You will work on the development our predictive models that support our product, marketing and editorial strategy. The main responsibility will be the creation and maintenance of our news recommendation algorithms. Our tech stack is currently R, Python, TensorFlow, and Redshift. As a self-starter, you should be comfortable working with large, complex data sets and establishing KPIs based on business goals. You will work closely with colleagues across the business and sit in a growing Data Team.
The position is based out of our Times Square headquarters where we have a small, flat team with fun, friendly and skilled coworkers.
Role & Responsibilities
- Develop algorithms for programming personalization
- Work with Software and Data Engineers to put algorithms into production
- Establish hypotheses and validate through A/B testing to inform product development
- Inform editorial strategy through insights on content consumption and engagement
- Answer questions by using appropriate statistical techniques and machine learning
- Communicate findings to leaders within Reuters’ advertising, editorial, marketing and product teams
- Work with various internal and third-party data sources
- Provide support for employees from other departments working on problems involving data
Desired Skills And Experience
- Master’s or Doctorate degree in a quantitative field
- Passion for and significant experience in solving analytical problems using quantitative approaches
- Ability to communicate complex quantitative analysis in a clear, precise, and actionable manner
- Comfort manipulating and analyzing large data sets from varying sources
- Proficiency with statistical theory and machine learning algorithms
- Familiarity with natural language processing and modeling techniques
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively within a team
- Experience with an analysis tool such as R or Python
- Experience with relational databases and SQL
- Familiarity with distributed system technologies such as Hadoop, Spark, and NoSQL databases a plus
- Interested in news and the future of television
- A sense of humor always helps
Thomson Reuters provides professionals with the intelligence, technology and human expertise they need to find trusted answers. We enable professionals in the financial and risk, legal, tax and accounting, and media markets to make the decisions that matter most, all powered by the world's most trusted news organization.
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one – collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With over 50,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Bring your ambition to make a difference. We’ll bring a world of opportunities.
As a global business we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit thomsonreuters.com/careers.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
United States of America-New York-New York-USA-New York-3 Times Square