Westat is an employee-owned corporation providing research services to agencies of the U.S. Government, as well as businesses, foundations, and state and local governments. Westat's research, technical, and administrative staff of more than 2,000 is located at our headquarters in Rockville, Maryland, near Washington, DC.
Westat is seeking a data scientist to apply advanced statistical solutions to assist in managing and improving survey data collection, design, and methodology. The successful candidate will be working with senior statisticians, survey methodologists, and data collection operations managers.
- Development and testing may be done in R, Python or other statistical software with a longer term goal of translating the solutions into specifications that can be programmed within the SAS environment used in the applicable processing system.
- Apply data science solutions to assist in managing and improving survey data collection, design, and methodology.
- Provide expertise in working to understand survey needs and using data and paradata to address those needs in a statistically appropriate manner (for example, by fitting models to predict which cases are likely to respond).
- A Master's degree in Statistics, Survey Methodology, Computer Science, or a related applied quantitative social science field coupled with at least five (5) years of experience in statistical computing or a Ph.D in Statistics, Survey Methodology, Computer Science, or a related applied quantitative social science field coupled with at least two (2) years of experience in statistical computing.
- The position requires candidates to have a computational and applied statistical background.
Experience in Natural Language Processing (NLP) is desirable.
Westat offers competitive benefits with ESOP, 401k, Health, Dental, paid vacation, sick and holiday leave, professional development as well as other benefits.
Any offer of employment may be contingent upon receipt of acceptable results from a post-offer background screening, if required for the position, based on the specific position which may include, for example, identity verification, employment history, or criminal records history.
Westat is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship status, genetic information, gender identity, or any other protected status under applicable law.